People these days plug in their earphones to listen to music while walking, cooking, running, or even traveling which makes them now wonder – how safe are earphones, after all?
People are divided if earphones are advantageous to us or the other way round. To help you clear this doubt, we bring to you this article which discusses the pros and cons of earphones, leaving it up to you to decide on it for yourself.
Table of contents
How does blaring earphones damage your ears?
Earphones produce loud sound waves in our ears which are soft enough to go into the ear and not be heard by others around us. The sound waves make our ear cells vibrate. Like the body gets used to everything, prolonged exposure to earphones’ noise can make our ear cells used to these vibrations.
When this happens, the vibration sensitivity of the cells decreases and they reduce your hearing range. The ‘hair’ in your inner ear (cochlea) becomes used to the noise and stops responding. It also weakens and the continuous movement of fluids in your ear due to the noise harms your sense of balance which is why people feel lightheaded or dizzy sometimes.
Cell bending or folding, temporary hearing loss, permanent damage to these hair cells, and even permanent hearing loss or deafness is something that can be caused by earphones.
Some Side Effects of Using Earphones
Some ways in which earphones pose a threat to our ear’s health and hygiene are as follows:
- Hearing loss due to loud noise
- Tinnitus (ringing/buzzing sound in ears)
- Inner ear damage
- Ear swelling
- Hyperacusis (high sensitivity to environmental sounds)
- Dizziness, lightheadedness
- Ear infections due to germs
- Ear wax buildup which can block your mid ear
- Pain in the ears and head
- Negative effect and pressure on the brain and nerves
Sure, you cannot completely eliminate your earphones from your life. However, there is still hope. There are a few practices you can inculcate in your life to protect your ears
- Don’t keep the volume very high
- Monitor earphone usage’s duration
- Use noise-canceling headphones
- Headphones are a better option for listening
- Sanitize earphones regularly to remove buildup
- Don’t use earphones in already loud places
Are there any advantages to using Earphones?
Of course, there are numerous advantages to using earphones. This is what makes them such a popular choice among so many audiophiles worldwide. Some of them are as follows:
- Easy to carry and lightweight, they can fit in your purse, pockets, handbags and even be worn around your neck.
- No complicated usage. You experience hassle free music and call management at your level of comfort.
- Using a universal audio jack or Bluetooth, earphones can be connected to almost any device. You will never face compatibility issues.
- Lags and interruptions are not something you would experience with earphones at all. Use all playback and management commands at lightning speed.
- Earbuds are ultra lightweight and so comfortable to use that you would not even realize you are wearing anything for hours straight!
Apart from these, there are other benefits to earphones as well like:
- Great sound reproduction
- Good noise reduction
- Superior connectability for user
- Always in style
- Space for customization
- Wide range of designs
- Highly accessible